About Cygnus Technologies
Established in 1997, Cygnus Technologies is one of the leading provider of assays and services for determining and characterizing impurities in biopharmaceuticals. The company serves a number of firms pertaining to the medical, pharmaceutical, gene therapy, biotech and other similar industries. Cygnus Technologies helps companies throughout the lifecycle of the new therapeutics; from product development to market distribution, Cygnus is involved in every step along the way. Cygnus was acquired by Maravai Lifesciences in 2016.
Magento Migration & Customization
Cygnus Technologies wanted to scale their operations through their online store. Their website was built on OSCommerce platform which had a number of limitations in terms of customizations. When Maravai Life Sciences acquired the company they wanted to move the website on the Magento platform to leverage the built-in features of Magento and to achieve some complex goals of 360 search within website.
The Challenges Cygnus Technologies was facing are given below:
Migration of OSCommerce to Magento 2
No mechanism for catering to back dated orders
Tier/customer based pricing wasn’t there
UI and UX issues
Lengthy checkout process
The store had no option to attach detail documents
No localization in the store
Advanced search options
Folio3 migrated Maravai’s Cygnus Technologies from OSCommerce platform on to the Magento 2 platform. The project also involved the creation of a brand new design and user experience. Some of the customizations included implementing functionalities that are not supported by Magento out of the box.
- The customizations made to the store include:
- Backdated order management system
- Customer Group/Tier Based Pricing
- One Page Checkout to improve conversion rate
- Ability to attach supporting Documents such as PDFs/JPEGs/Worksheets to products (As per FDA Requirements)
- Region wise Pricing and access restrictions. For example, in Japan, only vendors and distributors were allowed to sign up
- Tax Management System, AVATAX, integration
- User Registration Customization and improvement in the signup process
- Custom Attributes for association of complex data with products and customers A complex customized JS tool for product specifications
- Pricing Packages managed separately as per the customer or their associated company
- Mapping legacy data into entities and attributes on to the new platform in best possible way
- Advanced Search Capability with Sphinx. The admin can now specify the content to show for a search ranging from FAQs and documents to products and testimonials.
The upgrade was successful and the site performance improved significantly. Along with functional upgrades, the website’s user-friendliness was also improved that ultimately led to an increase in number of orders via website. Some of the major results of our fixes are given below